The day I was assigned my office, I spent my lunch break shopping.
When making an office your home base whether for an internship or for the long haul, here are a few essential purchases to make things easier:
1. Headache medicine of your choice
2. Box of Tissues
4. A good lint brush
5. Hand lotion –I have one from a hotel presently on my desk
6. Air freshener- most offices do not have good circulation and you may be eating that Indian food at your desk
7. Office umbrella (small, cheap, functional)
8. Mouth wash- I’ve never had to use it but I know it’s there
9. Your favorite coffee mug
10. Eyeglasses that live at your desk
1. Pantyhose in your version of nude – If you never wear them, this is not an issue. If you get a run on the way to work, these will make your day better.
2. Hygiene products – You do not want to have to ask a co-worker
3. Flats – If I’m in the office after 9pm, the heels come off.
4. Hair pins
1. Dry snacks with a long shelf life: almonds, dried fruit, granola bars….
2. Assorted plastic utensils – How many times have you gotten a delivery order only to be left forkless?
3. Hot sauce, Old bay, Pep-pah or any fixin’ that you like on your food
For the most part, these items should be small, easy to store, and out of sight. I leave the tissues and sanitizer on my desk, but everything else is tucked away.